Go green this Cinco de Mayo with recipes from Mission Foods and TerraCycle. This does not mean that food itself is green; instead, the wrappers from the food products are surprisingly recyclable.
TerraCycle, has partnered with Mission Foods to collect the usually non-recyclable wrappers from tortillas, chips, and other food products and, indeed, recycle them.
Cinco de Mayo brings the opportunity to enjoy both cooking and recycling (yes, recycling) by spicing up the family menu in celebration of the Mexican holiday. Below are three delicious, family-friendly recipes from Mission Foods that feature ingredients with packaging that can be recycled into eco-friendly products and earn money for your favorite charity.
After feasting on treats such as Mango Tango Dip and Chicken Fajitas, the packaging can be sent to TerraCycle, a company that upcycles and recycles food wrappers and other waste into bright backpacks, plant grow kits, and even mini speakers. With Mission and TerraCycle, kids and parents alike can indulge in healthy food while taking care of their environment.
Schools and community groups in Kansas City and the surrounding areas can continue recycling even after Cinco de Mayo by forming a TerraCycle Brigade that collects packaging and sends it to TerraCycle to receive two cents per item for their charity of choice. To get involved, visit www.terracycle.net.
Fiesta Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast (approximately 1 pound)
1 medium onion, diced (approximately 1 1 /2 cup)
1 red pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
1 can diced green chilies (4 ounces)
2 cups + 1/4 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
8 Mission® Life Balance flour tortillas
2/3 can red Enchilada sauce
tabasco, salt, pepper to taste
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8″X11″X2″ baking dish with cooking spray.
1. Pour chicken broth into a small frying pan, heat to simmer, add chicken breast, cover and simmer until no longer pink, turning once (approximately 25 minutes). Cool and shred.
2. In same frying pan, add onions and red pepper. Saute over medium heat until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, place chicken, onion-pepper mixture, beans, corn, cilantro, chilies, 2 cups of the cheese, and sour cream. Toss until thoroughly blended. Add tabasco, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place 1/8 of mixture into center of each tortilla, roll and place in baking dish. When all 8 rolls are completed, pour Enchilada sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake for 35 minutes, or until sauce bubbles and enchiladas are heated through. Makes 4 generous servings of 2 enchiladas each.
• 10 Mission® Small/Fajita Flour Tortillas
• 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
• 2 Tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Black Pepper
• 1 tsp Cumin
• 20 oz Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
• 1 1/4 C Cheese, fat free, shredded
• 1 1/4 C Iceberg Lettuce, shredded
• 1 1/4 C Tomatoes, small dice
• 1/2 C +2 Tbsp Sour Cream, fat free
• 1/2 C +2 Tbsp Green Onions, sliced
• 1/2 C +2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
1. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cumin in a large Ziploc bag. Add the chicken breasts and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes. (A large Ziploc bag works great for marinating food, saves on refrigerator space and is easy to clean up – no mess).
2. Grill the chicken until it is cooked through, turning occasionally, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. When cooked, slice diagonally.
3. Assemble all of the other ingredients (garnishes).
4. Warm the flour tortillas.
5. Serve the chicken on a platter with the garnishes and warmed tortillas.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Mission® Extra Thin Chips
1 cup Black Beans can, drained
1/2 cup Mangoes jar, small chop
2 tablespoons Mango juice from jar
2 tablespoons Red Onion finely chopped
2 teaspoons Cumin ground
1 tablespoon Fresh Cilantro chopped
2 teaspoons Lime Juice
1. Mash black beans, to a smaller size/paste, with a potato masher or use tines of a fork.
2. Add mangoes, mango juice, onion, cumin, cilantro and lime juice; combine evenly.
3. Serve cold with Mission® chips.