Below is information taken from an official press release on the Mardi Gras Festival coming to KC.
Saturday, March 1, 2014 in the Kansas City Power & Light District. The crazy festiveness of Bourbon Street will take over the Live! Block for guests to immerse in a Mardi Gras festival experience.
This year’s bash will feature a crawfish eating contest, Cajun food booths, Zydeco music, live DJ, street performers, fire breathers, fortune tellers and of course, an abundance of beads! There will be a parade with mini floats made from shopping carts and all participating bars and clubs will be decked out with Mardi Gras décor. There is free entry into the overall event and guests must be 21 years old or older. Guests have the option to purchase Mardi Gras Bar Crawl tickets, which includes free cover at 15 participating bars and clubs and unlimited drinks from 8 -11 p.m. Guests can purchase tickets at www.missiontix.com/KCMardiGras.
- Live entertainment all night
- New Red Onion Jazz Band performing live Zydeco music
- Craw Fish Eating Contests at 8:30 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. Contestants must be the first to eat 10 Cajun crawfish. Winner receives a cash prize.
- Beignet Eating Contest at 9:15 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. Contestants must be the first to scarf down 10 sweet, powdery pastries. Winner receives a cash prize.
- Most Beads Contest at 11:00 p.m. on the KC Live Stage. Winner is determined by crowd vote .
- Cajun food booths featuring gumbo, jambalaya and dirty rice from Z-Strike and The Dubliner.
- Roving street performers throughout the district, breathing fire, juggling, mimes, stilt walkers and more, 8 – 11 p.m.
- A fortune teller, 8 – 10 p.m.
- Beads galore
- Shopping Cart Parade, a fun parody to the festive Mardi Gras parades held around the country, 9 p.m.
- Mardi Gras Bar Crawl: A party package upgrade that includes all access passes to 15 participating bars and clubs throughout the evening, as well as unlimited domestic beer, hurricanes and well drinks for just $25 in advance/$35 for VIP upgrade to call.
- New Red Onion Jazz Band
- Free entry into overall event, must be 21+
- Mardi Gras Bar Crawl Well Package: A party package upgrade that includes all access passes to 15 participating bars and clubs throughout the evening, as well as unlimited domestic beer, hurricanes and well drinks for just $25 in advance/$35 at the door.
- Mardi Gras Bar Crawl Well Package: A party package upgrade that includes all access passes to 15 participating bars and clubs throughout the evening, as well as unlimited domestic beer, hurricanes and call drinks for just $35 in advance/$40 at the door.
Featured Bars and Clubs:
Angels Rock Bar • Fuego • Hotel Nightclub • Howl at the Moon • Johnny’s Tavern • Living Room Bar • Maker’s Mark Bourbon House & Lounge • The Dubliner • McFadden’s Sports Saloon • Mosaic Lounge • PBR Big Sky • Pizza Bar • Shark Bar • Tengo Sed Cantina • KC Live! Block!
About the Kansas City Power & Light District (www.powerandlightdistrict.com)
The Kansas City Power & Light District is a vibrant, new eight-block neighborhood in the heart of downtown Kansas City that is redefining the City from its skyline to its sidewalks. The District links together the renovated Bartle Hall Convention Center, the new Sprint Center, offices, hotels, entertainment, cultural destinations and residential developments. The $850 million mixed-use District anchors $5 billion of complimentary development efforts in downtown Kansas City. The combination of entertainment, retail, nightlife and residential with the District’s imaginative and innovative design, has created an intriguing 24/7 neighborhood.