Mastering the Basics – Direct or “Stovetop” Cooking
with Craig Jones
Grilling instructor Craig Jones was named the Grill Mayor in 2012 by the Food Network. At last count, he had 7 grills and cooks over live fire 300+ days a year. He and his wife Gay make Savory Additions small batch artisan smoked nuts.
Craig and Gay are long-time supporters of the local Kansas City food scene. They are certified Kansas City Barbeque Society judges, disciples of The Kansas City Test Kitchen, video reviewers for the annual Kansas City Restaurant Week fundraiser, and members of Kansas City Food Artisans and Slow Food Kansas City.
The Grilling 101 class, Craig will cover:
- Lighting methods
- Charcoal choices
- Heat management – controlling heat, gauging heat levels
- Using wood as a spice
- Roasting veggies in the coals
- Grilling veggies
- Grilling meats:
- Jasper’s Italian Sausage in a Boulevard beer bath
- Pork Tenderloin with Jezebel sauce
- Craig even grills dessert: Grilled Angel food cake with soy/honey/ginger sauce
The class will include generous tastings and will take place in the parking lot of Jasper’s restaurant.
Saturday March 29th, 2014
2:00 – 4:30pm
Jasper’s parking lot
1201 W. 103rd Street
Kansas City, MO 64114
$35 per person
Make your online reservation here: http://www.brownpapertickets.
Deadline for reservations is March 27th, 2014.
All ticket purchases are non-refundable. If you are unable to attend, your ticket purchase is a donation to Slow Food Kansas City.
Craig has agreed to do a series of grilling classes with Slow Food Kansas City. Upcoming classes with Craig include:
- Grilling 201: Using your grill like an oven
- Grilling 301: Converting indoor cooking to outdoor cooking